The following definitions are intended to facilitate an understanding of the Calendar, and not to define all words and phrases used in the Calendar which may have specific meanings.

Academic Dismissal
A student’s required withdrawal from a program due to unsatisfactory academic performance. See “20. Academic Dismissal” for Arts and Science students. See “7.2 Academic Dismissal” for Journalism students.

Academic Program
A distinct group of courses and other requirements which lead to eligibility for a degree or other university-awarded credential.

Academic Terms
Fall term: September to December
Winter term: January to April
Summer term: May to August

Advanced Standing
Students possessing advanced knowledge of a subject will be encouraged to begin their studies in that subject at a level appropriate to their knowledge, as determined by the department/school/college concerned. However, such students must complete the full number of credit hours required for the particular credential being sought.

Audit Student
A student permitted to attend courses but not expected to prepare assignments, write papers, tests or examinations. Credit is not given nor is a mark awarded for courses. Courses appear on the transcript with the notation “AUD.” If not already admitted to the University, audit students must apply. Students may register to audit a course only after the first day of courses.

Continuing Fees
The tuition fees charged to graduate students who have fulfilled their program fee requirements but have yet to complete all their degree requirements. See Faculty of Graduate Studies Regulations in the Dalhousie Graduate Studies Calendar.

Co-operative Education
A program where academic study is combined with career related work experience.

Requirement which can be fulfilled concurrently with the course being considered.

A unit of study in a subject area. Such a course is identified by a course / subject code, number, credit value and title. See table below.

A unit by which university course work is measured. One course is normally worth one half credit or three credit hours.

Credit Hours
One course is normally equal to three credit hours (e.g., ENGL 1100.03: Writing for University = 3 credit hours).

Course Codes

Course Codes consist of several parts, for example: JOUR 1002.03

JOUR is the Subject Code

1002 is the Course Number
1000 level courses are introductory
2000 to 4000 level courses are advanced
5000 level courses are post-baccalaureate
6000 and 7000 level courses are graduate

03 is the Credit Value
06: 6 credit hours, or one full credit
03: 3 credit hours, or one half credit
00: 0 credit hours, or no credit

Each course has a course reference number (CRN) attached to it. This number is to be used when registering for courses.

Crosslisted Courses
Courses are crosslisted based upon course content that deals with more than one subject area in a substantive way. The crosslisting recognizes the interdisciplinary nature of the course.

Email is an authorized means of communication for academic and administrative purposes within King’s and Dalhousie. The University will assign all students an official email address. This address will remain in effect while the student remains registered and for one academic term following a student’s last registration. This is the only email address that will be used for communication with students regarding all academic and administrative matters. Any redirection of email will be at the student’s own risk. Each student is expected to check their official email address frequently in order to stay current with University communications.

An exclusion is when one course is sufficiently similar to another course that credit will only be given once if both are taken.

Full-time Students
Those registered for 18 credit hours (three full credit courses) or more for undergraduate level in an academic year, or the equivalent of nine credit hours (three half credit courses) or more in either the Summer, Fall or Winter term.

Good Standing
Students who meet the required GPA are considered to be in good academic standing. See “18. Good Standing” for Arts and Science students. See “6. Good Standing” for Journalism students.

Grade Point Average (GPA)
Weighted sum of the grade points earned, divided by the number of credit hours enrolled.
• Term GPA: Courses taken in a single term.
• Cumulative GPA: All courses taken while registered in a level of study.

In the case of a course that has been repeated, only the highest grade is included. See “Grade Scale and Definitions”.

Graduate Student Information System. The electronic database used to approve graduate student program requirements and progress.

Graduate Student
A student with a Bachelor’s degree, usually with Honours or equivalent, enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program, or a graduate diploma program.

The term used in the School of Journalism, Writing & Publishing to describe a practical professional educational experience conducted in a non-university setting, such as a newspaper, magazine, broadcasting station or online news outlet.

Letter of Permission
A Letter of Permission authorizes a King’s/Dalhousie student to take a course(s) at another institution for credit towards a King’s/Dalhousie qualification. Such permission must be obtained in advance of taking the course(s).

Level of Study
UG: Undergraduate: BA, BJ(Hons), BMus, BSc
J1: BJ (one-year)
GR: Graduate: Master of Journalism, Master of Fine Arts

Multi-Term Course
Undergraduate Multi-term course: A course that spans multiple terms in an academic year. A final grade is awarded upon successful completion of the course.

Graduate Multi-term course: A course that spans multiple terms in an academic year. A final grade is awarded upon successful completion of the course.

Graduate In-Progress course: The grade of “In Progress” (IP) is used to identify and report on-going satisfactory progress in thesis, research projects, and courses/seminars structured to progress over a flexible number of academic terms. Students are expected to register in the course each term that they are engaged in course-related activities. A final grade will be assigned in the academic term where course requirements are met.

Mature Student
Applicants who are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents 21 years of age or older, by the first day of courses, and are not eligible for admission on the basis of regular admission requirements.

Non-thesis Program
A Master’s program of study based on course work which may also include a research project. This includes many of the professional graduate programs. Some of these progams also offer a thesis option.

Part of Term
A code which indicates in which part of a term a course is offered. Academic dates, such as deadlines to register, deadlines to add and drop courses, deadlines to withdraw with and without penalty, etc. are all attached to the Part of Term. See table below.

Part of Term Codes

K: a half-term Journalism course which is offered in the first half of a term. For Fall, typically includes BJ & MJ boot camp courses and the BJH honours project. For Winter, typically includes BJ & BJH workshop 2.

L: a half-term Journalism course which is offered in the second half of a term. For Fall, typically includes BJ, MJ & BJH workshop 1; for Winter typically includes BJ & BJH workshop 3.

Multi-term Course: A course that spans multiple terms in an academic year. A final grade is awarded upon successful completion of the course. FYP is an example of a multi-term course.

1, 2: a course begun and completed in one term, lasting the full length of the term.

Part-time Students
Students registered for fewer than 18 credit hours (three full credit courses) for Undergraduate level in an academic year or the equivalent of nine credit hours (three half credit courses) in either the Fall, Winter or Summer term.

Part-time Graduate Student (Program Fee)
A part-time graduate student paying program fees is a student who has been approved by the department and the Faculty of Graduate Studies as working part-time on their graduate degree. A part-time graduate student is taking less than nine credit hours per term.

Part-time Student (Per Course Fee)
A student who is taking less than nine credit hours in a term is considered a part-time student.

Per Course Fee
The fees charged to students in a Per-Course Fee Degree. Students pay fees according to the number of courses taken in any given term.

A requirement that must be fulfilled prior to registering in a specific course.

Warning to students that their academic performance is unsatisfactory and that they will be dismissed from their program unless their performance improves by the end of the next term. For Arts and Science probationary rules see “19. Probation”; for Journalism probationary rules see “7. Probationary Rules — BJH Program”.

Program Fees
The tuition fees charged to students in a program-fee degree. The program fee is based on total tuition for a specified number of years, varying according to academic program. Students who have not completed their program after the specified number of years are required to pay a continuing fee.

The period of time that graduate students are expected to be on campus for fulfillment of their formal program requirements. In some programs, part of the residency period may, with permission, include some time off campus (e.g., for fieldwork or research).

Special Students
Students who are not candidates for a degree or diploma but who wish to take courses which may be allowed for credit. This is not the same as auditing a course. Special students must satisfy normal admission requirements.

Special Student – Graduate Studies (SSGS)
A Student who is not registered in a graduate program but is taking graduate courses. Special students must satisfy normal admission requirements.

Subject Codes


























































Actuarial Sciences

Anatomy and Neurobiology


Arts and Social Sciences, Interdisciplinary

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology


Canadian Studies





Creative Writing

Computer Science

Contemporary Studies


Early Modern Studies


Environmental Science

Earth Sciences

European Studies

First Year Interest Groups – Arts and Social Sciences

First Year Interest Groups – Science

Film Studies




Gender and Women’s Studies


History of Science & Technology

Indigenous Studies

International Development Studies



King’s Foundation Year Program


Law Justice and Society

Marine Biology



Microbiology & Immunology





Physics & Atmospheric Science

Human Physiology

Political Science


Religious Studies

Registration Course – Graduate

Russian Studies


Sociology & Social Anthropology

Spanish & Latin American Studies





Writing & Publishing

This is not an exhaustive list of subject codes. There are subject codes for every subject offered at King’s and Dalhousie, including some minor subjects available to be taken as part of a King’s/Dalhousie degree. For a complete list of subject codes, please consult the King’s Registrar’s Office or the Dalhousie Undergraduate Academic Calendar.

A transcript is a complete history of a student’s academic record at King’s/Dalhousie. Partial transcripts, e.g. a portion of a student’s record pertaining to registration in a particular degree, faculty, or level of study, are not issued.

Transfer Student
A transfer student is one who is awarded credit towards a King’s/Dalhousie degree for academic work completed at a previous or equivalent institution of higher learning.

Students who are candidates for an undergraduate degree or diploma.

Visiting Student
A person permitted to take courses at King’s/Dalhousie for transfer of credit to another university.

Visiting Student Graduate Studies (VSGS)
a. A person permitted to take courses at King’s/Dalhousie for transfer of credit to another university (Letter of Permission required).
b. A person permitted to work with a King’s/Dalhousie researcher for thesis work at another university (Research).

Work Term
Career related work experience required in Co-operative Education programs. Work terms are usually 13 – 16 weeks in duration.

Writing Intensive
Writing Intensive courses are those which emphasize the process of writing, frequency of writing assignments, and weighting of those assignments in the course grades. A Writing Intensive course is normally taken as a sequel to a Writing Requirement course, but does not satisfy the Writing Requirement.


2023/2024 University of King's College Academic Calendar Copyright © 2023 by University of King's College. All Rights Reserved.