Resources and Services
Location: Link 062D (across from the KSU)
The Student Support Advisor (SSA) is the on-campus social worker and resource navigator for King’s students.
The SSA can support students who are experiencing non-academic concerns impacting their wellness and ability to engage in their studies. Students can book appointments with the SSA for a nonjudgmental, holistic space to discuss concerns and find solutions. Staff and faculty members can also meet with the SSA to discuss student support and identify appropriate referrals.
There are many topics which can be discussed with the SSA. Here are some examples:
- Offer confidential guidance on personal issues
- Support for students experiencing mental health concerns due to discrimination, including racism, ableism, transphobia and other concerns affecting wellbeing
- Support accessing community organizations and/or private practice counselling, including free or low-cost counselling
- Increase healthy coping skills and distress tolerance
- Improve time-management and planning skills
- Address food, housing, and other resource insecurity
- Improve self-advocacy skills for accessing health care, mental health services, or academic services
- Learn how to access Dalhousie Health and Wellness, including counselling services
- Support accessing Dalhousie Accessibility Centre
- Create personalized wellness plans, with a variety of tools available for students