Resources and Services
Studying for Success
Telephone: (902) 494-3077
At Dalhousie, we have dedicated staff available to assist students in becoming more efficient and effective learners. Whether you’re doing well and want to do better or if you are experiencing academic difficulty, we can help you reach your academic potential during your time at King’s and Dalhousie.
A few reasons to visit:
- You’re attending class regularly but you feel like you’re missing important points
- You feel like you don’t have enough time to get everything done
- You’d like to bring together key concepts in both lecture and textbooks
- You want to be fully prepared to write an exams
- You’re doing well in your courses but think you could do better
- You’ve experienced some academic failure, whether one paper, one assignment, one midterm or final exam, one or more classes
On the Halifax campuses, the Studying for Success program offers workshops to small groups of students to develop or enhance personal learning strategies and, when applicable, workshops are customized to focus on particular disciplines or fields of study ensuring that the workshop content is relevant to the needs of participating students.
Topics regularly covered include time management, getting the most from lectures, critical reading, goal setting, note-taking, studying effectively, memorization and concentration, and preparing for and writing exams. Study Skills coaches provide one- on-one support either by appointment or on a drop-in basis and will refer students to other academic resources when appropriate.
If you are looking for assistance in understanding specific course content and assignments, or preparing for tests and exams, our tutors are able to help. We can match you to an appropriate tutor in your field of study.